Monday, September 5, 2016

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child, a Complementary to The Harry Potter Series

I first read Harry Potter when I was still in the elementary school in the late 1990s. And I think Rowling has bewitched me since then. I had read all the books and watched all the movies. I even bought Harry Potter related things from stationery, stickers, etc. with my savings. You can say I grew up with Harry and his friends. I even decorated my bedroom with Harry Potter pin-up and posters. When the 7th series came out, I beg my mom to buy one for me, that day she was in India, and lucky me the price was way cheaper there, because Indian government did not taxed books! Not too much for a potterhead isn't it?

Then years after the 7th novel and movie, here come the good news, there is an 8th book of Harry Potter! It is actually a script of Harry Potter play: Harry Potter and The Cursed  Child. Since it is a script, I did not expect much from it, besides there are lot of bad reviews on this. But it turns out to be a beautiful story.

Harry Potter
I order this from bookdepository.com the price is cheaper then other book store in Jakarta


The story  is about Albus Severus Potter who is a Slytherin and become a best friend with Scorpius Malfoy. The story takes 19 years after the battle of Hogwarts, when Harry, Hermione, and Ron are all grown up. In this story, Albus and Scorpius traveled to the past to save Cedric Diggory. Albus insistly wanted to save Cedric to show  that he is great enough to be Harry Potter's son. After turned back time, he did save Cedric but it turns out that the present changes and that just not what he want. He turned back time again, but things became more complicated.

I love the friendship bond between Scorpius and Albus, it is just as beautiful as Harry's with Ron and Hermione. This story also tells us that we cannot achieve everything we want, everything needs a sacrifice, and if we did not have a courage to sacrifice, things could be different and may not as beautiful as the present.

In this story we also saw how Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Draco are all become adults, but they still make mistakes, and they are still themselves and they are still loved by their families and friends.

A true potterhead surely need to read this.

Albus and Scorpius


No comments:

Post a Comment